AFC Worthing Youth Atoms U11 v AFC Worthing Youth Stars U11


Match Report: Challenge Cup

AFC Worthing Youth Atoms U11 5 v 1 AFC Worthing Youth Stars U11
Date: 12/10/2014
Venue: Fernhurst Drive, Worthing
Atoms Goals: Charlie 3 mins, Jago 24, 37 mins, Brennan 40 mins, Harry 55 mins
Stars Goal: Lloyd 46 mins.


Today was a cup game home to AFC Worthing Stars. The result was 5-1 to Atoms.

The team started off really well, attacking from the off. This commitment paid off after three minutes into the game. Great teamwork from defence to midfield then squared off to Charlie who tapped in to score.

The game stayed at a high tempo with no more goals in the first half. Billy saved two shots that were goal bound so we could go to half time 1-0 up.

Half time we made it quite clear that 1-0 is a hard score to protect and that goals were needed in the second half. The team started the half very strongly and came close to scoring straight away. We got our reward on 34 and 37 minutes with Jago working really hard to score two goals.

Brennan slotted home his goal on 41 minutes and had chances throughout the game. The work rate still at 4-0 was something all the players should be really proud of.

The final 10 minutes was all action as the team pressed for more goals, but the Stars keeper was so hard to beat. Five minutes to go and Harry finally put away a chance and a well deserved goal.

The team really worked hard today and should be proud of themselves. The man of the match today voted by the parents was every player on our team. Well done Atoms, and well done Stars.

Jamie Smith
AFC Worthing Youth Atoms U11 Coach


This week saw a week of from the league and the 2nd round of the Challenge Cup with the Stars taking on the Atoms.

The Stars started brightly as usual and Jack had the first effort of the game. Nathaniel was called into action as the Atoms broke free, however the shot was well saved. The Stars failed to clear their lines from an Atoms cross and the ball was lifted over Nathaniel into the goal, 0-1.

Nathaniel was again quick off his line and saved at the feet of the Atoms forward, when again they broke free. On 21 minutes Charlie broke free and saw his shot saved onto the post and but was unable to finish the rebound. Through all the effort of the Stars, it was Nathaniel who was called upon again to save the Stars, half-time, 0-1.

The second half started the same way as the first ended, with Nathaniel making two saves in quick concession to keep the score the same. The Stars back line was undone three times by some good interplay from the opposition and conceded three goals in as many minutes, 0-4. Nathaniel saved again from the Atoms to ensure that the score stayed the same. It was then that the Stars started to play their passing game. Great interplay between Jack and Charlie G released Matthew, who saw his shot hit to post, but Lloyd was on hand to slot the ball into the open net, 1-4.

Jack brought the ball down and played Wesley who’s run won a corner. Matthew took the resultant corner, which saw Jack’s shot go just over the bar. The Stars continued to push and Jack had another shot on target unfortunately straight at the keeper. As the Stars tried to push for another goal, they conceded on the counter attack, full-time, 1-5.

Again 100% effort from everybody against a team two divisions above us. A lot of the time there was little difference between the two teams, however playing experience against high league teams showed through in the end. A lot of positives from today’s match, which we will take forward to next week’s league game. Good luck to the Atoms in the next round.

Mark Davies
AFC Worthing Youth Stars U11 Coach