Worthing United Colts U11 v AFC Worthing Youth Stars U11

Under 11s Stars

Match Report: Saywell International (Arun and Chichester) Youth League

Worthing United Colts U11 1 v 2 AFC Worthing Youth Stars U11
Date: 02/11/2014
Venue: Thomas A Becket Middle School
Youth goals: Charles 39 mins, Wesley 60 mins


A very blustery day saw a very cagey affair between the Stars and Worthing United. Both teams midfield and defences were on top for most of the first-half. However the game sprang to life on the 25 minute when Lloyd wriggled between two players inside the box and was tripped, penalty. Lloyd got up to take the penalty however it was saved by the keeper. The Stars then had a number of corners taken by Matt but could not make the breakthrough, Half Time, 0-0.

The second-half saw the Stars playing into the wind and they had to be on their guard on 38 minutes when Worthing United won a corner. On 39 minutes Joshua raced down the wing, however his cross was blocked and the resultant effort went out for a goal kick. However the goal kick fell straight to Charles who slotted the ball high over the keeper’s right, 1-0.

Worthing United then pressed for the equaliser and hit the post on 46 minutes from a cross/shot from the right. Worthing United were using the wings to good affect and Max had to be on guard to track back, stopping the cross by conceding a corner. Worthing United again broke free down the right but Nathaniel was quickly off his line to save at the attackers’ feet. The same pattern seem to be emerging with the Stars struggling to get out of their own half from goal kicks, but defending resolutely. A substitution show the Stars reverting to three at the back with Joshua assisting Max and Oli. Worthing United continued to press and on 58 minutes a high shot was well saved by Nathaniel. Following a Worthing Untied corner on 58 minutes, Matt broke free and ran the length of pitch, but just at the last minute the ball ran away from him and was well saved by the keeper. However the ball fell to Wesley who slotted the ball home, 2-0. With full time looming Worthing Untied attacked again and it was Max again who defended well, conceding a corner. From the corner a shot was deflected passed Nathaniel, 2-1. The Stars kicked off for the referee to blow for full time, 2-1.

A great hard fought team effort, where although we had limited chances we finished the chances we had well. Everyone defended as if their life depended on it and all players should be proud on how well we played as a team today. So starts the next winning streak.

Man of the Match: Max

Mark Davies
AFC Worthing Youth Stars Under 11’s Coach